PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 11th Sep 2016, 20:44
fox niner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?

Hi all.

I've been an airline pilot for 21 years now. I guess I was lucky enough, but I do think that the future of our profession is not as bright as it used to be.

The High School my eldest kid attends, has asked me to come over and talk about being an airline pilot, as they are organizing a "carreer choice week" for the kiddo's. Doctors, engineers, government, army, etc. The eager guys and gals will get a chance to "ask anything" after you have held your personal intro.

So the question is: "would you suggest your airline pilot job to youngsters?"

I've been confronted with this question many times at parties/social events etc. and the last few years, my answer has always been "no". I do not suggest it, because:
1. Outrageous loans that you have to cough up, without a guarantee of a good-paying job.
2. Pay 2 Fly
3. Big chance that you end up in the Sand Pit/China
4. Becoming a system operator rather than a ship commander, as the airline decides for you when to go-around or that the runway is too short
5. Missing out all those b'days/xmas/weekends
6. Up all night, sleep all day
7. .....

So what would you do? Suggest your job at a high school or kindly turn down the invitation....?