PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP Night flying
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2016, 18:43
n5296s

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
From a US perspective, this is an odd thread. You can't even get a PPL in the US without some night experience (can't remember the details without looking them up but something like 3 hours). The justification being that sooner or later you'll end up flying at night so you'd better know how. You CAN not bother afterwards, but if you want to stay current you need to do an average of one night t/o+landing per month. Though there is no currency requirement for solo flying, only for carrying passengers (your insurer may feel differently).

In my first year post-PPL I flew a 172 from the San Francisco area to LA (Hawthorne) and ended up returning at night (6.3 hours flight time for the round trip). I was well into my IR training but didn't yet have the IR. Flying up across the back country on a hazy night was instrument flying for all practical purposes. It was long and boring but didn't seem particularly difficult.

When flying at night cross country (which I don't often have reason to do) I stay high enough and choose my route so that I can always get to a runway. Not practical in SE England I know.

Night flying in the Bay Area is spectacular and every bit worth it. I recently did the required night cross-country for my CPL-H and loved it. Yes, it's more of a worry where you'll go if the engine stops (though less in a heli of course since you don't need a runway).

Last edited by n5296s; 8th Sep 2016 at 19:37.