PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2016, 07:49
LGS6753

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Itchin:

Sorry but I don't see any evidence that the the mass transit system is going over everything on stilts, all I see is a nominal line on a map (unless someone can point me to something I've missed).
I looked carefully at the schematic map before posting, because I too would have hoped the mass transit would have been underground. Assuming the line is roughly correct, the route would go below the current underpass if underground. That would mean tunnel-boring rather than cut-and-cover - a far more expensive option. It would also mean a very deep station as well as a long tunnel.

Furthermore, the original publicity picture of the scheme showed an open-air (and quite steeply climbing) track, rather than one which would be running under ground for much of its' length.

Also, the line on the map is superimposed over the features it crosses, in cartography convention, and similarly the underpass disappears under the taxiway.

Finally, if tunnelling were planned, the stated completion date of end-2020 would be highly optimistic.