PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2016, 13:45
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well presumably the last UA has now gone, so what lies in store for 2017 onward re North American traffic?, the attention has been on NY but we have lost a lot of connectivity (albeit seasonal) to YYZ, & ORL traffic has been as up & down as the rides at Disney.
I was one of those sceptics that NCL would never get a NYC service & to be fair well done to everyone involved in the two season attempt.
However, though disappointed, I am not at all surprised that it did not succeed, as to many it was only looked upon a another summer holiday destination.
Even then it lacked edge in marketing with endless opportunity for endpoint sale. Las Vegas being a prime example, can't remember seeing seeing any strap line such as "Fly UA direct to Vegas from NCL" with the as ever, omission of the words "non stop".
Taking this from the other side then it was not supported in sufficient no.'s by the business community & hence lower yields, & to be honest there is not much that could be done to address this when choice of routes to US involving a single stop, whether it be in Europe or the US is vast.
Also timings & choice of aircraft limited, old 757's I assume are losing appeal to many.
Finally you have the issue that the service was only ever seasonal, not daily and loyalty programs of the competition.
On another tack there has been much attention to EDI & it's US connections & the undisputed number of US tourists taking in it's attractions. How many came via NCL ? If as I suspect not many then is this also down to UA marketing.
Perhaps this is simply a culture thing, I grow tired in speaking to US citizens who see themselves as having "done Europe" by visiting 5 or 6 capital cities, & with UK then a departure out of London as an adventure & a trip further afield to Bath or perhaps even York as akin to a major expedition, & who typically have no recollection of points in between.
Perhaps NCL should adopt the well worn RYR marketing campaign & adopt name "Edinburgh South"! whats a 100 miles or so ?...unfortunately quite a lot !