PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2016, 19:32
fl dutchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When EDI was owned by BAA I think there was little in the way of low cost carriers and IT flights at EDI.
Lots of people from its catchment area used to come down to NCL to use the holiday flights etc that were not available then from EDI.
That would be in the days when NCL handled over 5 m pax.
Of course unlike the BAA who seemed not to encourage charters and LCC at that time from EDI the current owners have done a great job in attracting such airlines and operators.
Now there is less need for people to come to NCL as there are so many flights from EDI that were not available previously.
So I believe that is a significant factor in recent years falling passenger nos from NCL.
The people from Scotland used to boost Pax nos from NCL.
Of course EDI has a larger catchment area than NCL and it is a much larger inbound tourism destination.
Despite this NCL still does very well indeed.
Regarding DXB, I don't think the route is ready to go to twice daily anytime soon. We're lucky to have the daily service which has stood up well despite the competition from other carriers at EDI.
I think Emirates has a seat sale on from NCL that should boost passenger nos in the short term.
Of course Ryanair will boost numbers from NCL in the short term but I worry about the long term effect they will have on other carriers. Not to mention the falling pound which could harm outbound tourism severely and therefore the number of people using all airports.

Last edited by fl dutchman; 5th Sep 2016 at 21:50.