PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you intimidated by Cabin Crew?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2003, 20:52
Tony Flynn

Sly Lowlife Freight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run an audio visual company, have no connections with aviation apart from the fascination that you describe. I'm certainly no planespotter but even after nine years living near the Heathrow/Gatwick flightpath still look up at aircraft and dash outside when I hear a Concorde.

I find it a bit strange that anybody should feel intimidated by cabin crew. There are only two types in my experience, those who work their way through the cabin as fast and impersonally as they can and those who make eye contact, smile and generally seem as if they love their job - I've met far more of the latter.

I think most jobs in aviation are perceived as vocational, if you mix in all of the foreign travel, the cameraderie that usually exists between the crew and ignore all of the disastrous days and frustrations that that come with any customer facing role not to mention the hard slog of feeding and watering a couple of hundred people in a slim metal tube then yes, most of us slf think it's glamourous. Incidentally, I like most slf thought that crews stayed together and changed routes as a team, I met a great steward on ba2166 coming back from tpa last oct and was most impressed with the teamwork and teamspirit considering that none of them had met before that flight.

The difference between a good flight and a bad flight can be in the hands of the cabin crew, the age or type of plane is irrelevant to me, if the crew feel it's safe enough to get on then so do I. Meals are an irrelevance too, it never ceases to amaze me that a couple of hundred people can be fed within minutes of each other from such a small galley. The ife doesn't bother me, I take the time to read, something that I don't normally have time to do. I appreciate when you guys keep under control people who don't know how to behave in public.

In short a special occupation but unapproachable - never