PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs for Newbies
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2003, 19:41
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GBZ. Go bush. You will hardly ever get a job with 200hrs in a capital city unless you know someone.

An instructor rating can help but is not essential. 1000klm into my trip a chap said to me "mate if you had an instructor rating...". You know what? He had everything from 172's to Barons from memory. An ideal first job.

Try all the little places along the QLD coast and if you have the time and fuel try for a few inland ventures before making the pilgrimage to the NT. The key is to pump your contacts or to ask the local pilots "where do you reckon I should go..." "do you know anyone thats looking..". Most of these chaps have been where you are and will try to help you.

Have your feelers out everywhere and don't be afraid to go for the smaller operations. Often they will have a twin. 210's in WA is great but not everyone is lucky enough to score that so you might have to think laterally. Be up front and ask people like HA "where do you reckon the next job will be". There are a thousand and one 172's on propertys in the middle of nowhere.

I thought at times that it was never going to happen and 12 months after my cpl there i was with my fist job. A fantastic feeling that I will never forget.

Make sure you are not just another pilot on the dole forever hanging around, getting up at midday whinging and bitching. Get a job doing whatever, visit the operators and prepare for your next trip to wherever.

Good luck.

Mr. Hat