PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 06:07
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Construction update

It is becoming clear that the £110 million being spent on Luton's upgrade is about purely increasing capacity at a minimum cost while not putting much effort into improving the passenger experience.

While many airports invest in infrastructure like airbridges and try to improve the passengers experience Luton is building very basic minimal facilities. This is well demonstrated by gate 16, which is about to open. Gate 16 holding area is very similar to the gates for the main apron, except I think this one is on the first floor rather than apron level. As can be seen the floor has not been tiled or carpeted and the painted walls will soon mark.

Does anyone know which stand gate 16 is associated with, as it isn't where I expected it to be but I think it is around stand 9L

LLA

With not a hope of an airbrige Luton passengers will leave the gate via a staircase and these pushchair unfriendly steps and door as they head across the apron.

LLA

This view is taken from inside the passenger footbridge, as the second section was about to be attached. I can't help but think that this is cost cutting too far. As can be seen with the windows made out of opaque plastic, like is found on conservatory roofs, passengers face walking through a dark featureless tube rather than a high level route full of natural light that would have showcased the airport if it had clear glass windows. All in all this is so disappointing and is a missed opportunity and is in stark contrast to the airports own artists impression that showed a clear glass structure that had clear glass on both sides. What has been built has a solid wall on one side and plastic on the other.

LLA

The final 3 pictures shows the last 2 sections of passenger walkway being installed and the route the traffic took to get past when the final section was installed over the road.

LLA

LLA

LLA

Last edited by LTNman; 3rd Sep 2016 at 07:17.