PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway instructors
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2016, 06:01
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the UK importers web site you can't do ab initio instruction on a Rotorway.
I believe that information is out of date but I'd appreciate any documented correction to my understanding.

I've been looking into this in some detail and it is absolutely amazing just how 'grey' the regulations are. The nearest I could come to a written answer was that provided by the Light Aircraft Association. Since, in the UK, the Rotorway would be flown on a Permit To Fly then I understand the LAA's rules apply and, yes, they have changed from when most of us learnt to fly. I realise it is mostly theoretical, because trying to find a QHI willing to teach you in your Exec would be akin to discovering the teeth of hens but it would be a much cheaper way of learning to fly these rotary thingies and it would be nice to be much more aware of the capabilities, or otherwise, of your machine with a QHI sitting next to you.

Anyway, here's what the LAA has to say about it (no distinction between wings that move and those that don't):

Learning to fly in a LAA aircraft is quite legal, but the following conditions apply.

1. Training towards EASA and non-EASA licences, ratings, or certificates is permissible, and flight time conducted in LAA aircraft counts towards those required under EASA towards the issue, renewal, or revalidation of a licence, rating, or certificate.
Initial Issue of a Licence

2. A sole-owner or joint-owner may receive remunerated (or un-remunerated) flight training towards an initial licence in his own LAA aircraft provided: he is registered as the sole owner of the aircraft; or is a joint owner of the aircraft or a registered shareholder of the company which owns the aircraft; or is the spouse or child of the sole-owner or joint-owner.