PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain ridge crossing - safety review?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2016, 02:13
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rnzoli: 65 kts I am afraid. We are instructed to approach at 70 kts in general, or at 60-65 kts for short runways. This is to cover windshear, variable winds, distraction or poor monitoring of airspeed etc. And this turns against us when we go for these small places. Especially that RWY 26 threshold seems accessible to a precise flare only by cutting the throttle a tad earlier, slowing down to 55-60 kts over the last part of terrain and then agressively drop in over the 50 m CWY (posibly picking up +5 kts in the process). I missed that, so in reality, I was also 1-2 meter too high over the threshold, contributing to the long flare.
Unfortunately a lot of instructing is either the blind leading the blind or a one size fits all approach.

By all means fly the approach at 65 to 70 knots, but slow up on short finals to a speed appropriate for the conditions. Plan to be at 50' AGL over the runway end/threshold/fence, (as appropriate), at your target threshold speed. This will normally mean reducing power at around 500' AGL plus or minus depending on conditions, aircraft weight and performance.

You should aim for a threshold speed of 1.3 X stall speed for that configuration.

The information I have tells me the DA 20 has a full flap stall speed of 38 KIAS. 1.3 X 38 = 49.4 KIAS. Check your flight manual. You need the wings level, full flap, power off figure in indicated airspeed (IAS).

I would expect anyone who has a PPL to be able to maintain their airspeed by plus or minus 5 knots, you have to be more than 10 knots slower than your target threshold speed before you will stall. You will unlikely to be at MAUW for you landing anyway, so your stall speed will be less than 38 KIAS.

Remember your speed is slowly reducing from 65 to 70 knots at 500' AGL to 50 knots at 50' AGL, so you're not trying to fly along maintaining 50 knots.

Once you cross the threshold don't leave the power on, reduce the power to idle to allow the aircraft to slow and settle onto the runway. Remember to keep increasing the elevator back pressure to stop the nose from dropping. I'm probably telling you stuff you already do here.

Think of every touchdown as the approach to a power off full flap stall that is prevented by the wheels kissing the ground.

You will probably be touching down at about 40 to 42 knots, not that you should be watching the ASI at this point.

If there are wind gusts, add 1/2 the gust factor to your base speed. E.G. If the wind is 10 knots gusting to 20 knots there is a gust factor of 10 so add half of that (5 knots) to your base speed.

How often on the days you fly do you encountered gusty or windshear conditions? You will see from the paragraph above that you need a 20 knot gust factor before you need that target threshold speed of 60 knots.

Fly to the conditions, don't carry any unnecessary speed. Adjust your threshold speed to suit. Keep you hand on the throttle so that you can make prompt adjustments.

Go and try what I have suggested regarding slowing up to a target threshold speed, do it and practice it at a familiar airfield. Once you have it mastered you will be surprised how much less runway and braking action you will need.