PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain ridge crossing - safety review?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2016, 15:17
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Janson
I'm surprised nobody has commented on the last part of your video.

First approach high - go around was the correct decision.

Second approach had you floating down the runway (too fast on approach?) and it looks like you touched down at the halfway point. You almost ran off the end - very poor judgement to continue this landing imho.
Thanks Eric, it was obvious for me what was wrong with that landing and that's why I didn't ask commenting it. But you are right, it would have been safer to go around. You probably heard the conversation with the ground (Miro is a pilot himself), and RWY 26 is considerably more difficult due to higher terrain under approach path. I was actually on the speed I wanted, and considering density altitude (2000 feet, +20 degrees Celsius), TAS and GS (no wind) was about 10% higher than IAS. A tricky thing is that the runway is higher in the middle (+2 meters, 641 m ARP, 639 m for thresholds). Long story short, I was just about to move the throttle forward when the a/c firmly settled on the main gears, and I felt that I could stop on the tarmac. That's what happened, and there was one more reserve: 50 m of published CWY at the end of both runways, hard ground covered with dense grass. If unable to stop on tarmac, I simply don't turn but continue onto CWY with stick back and limited braking. The problem: what if I get a brake failure... so that landing is definitely not to be repeated again!

Last edited by rnzoli; 30th Aug 2016 at 15:36. Reason: Corrected runway designation