PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO back at CX
Thread: DEFO back at CX
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2016, 08:37
Steve the Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raven11

Have a re-read of my posts #277, #289, #312 and #324.

STP, it's not my system....I don't agree with it, it seems that you do. You should reconcile the inconsistencies, or explain why or what is different.
It's not that I agree with the system per se, it's just the one that I have to deal with as best I can, just as you do. I have always stated that I am not an advocate for MPL type schemes but I'm trying my best to address the new realities that such schemes present.

STP, I do not believe that the source of experienced pilots has completely dried up....but rather, as you say, that airline management are not willing to pay the money. For example, if we were to increase our compensation for new hires to 25% above what is currently on offer, we could attract every pilot in Hong Kong that works for HKE or HKA....and that's only casting a hiring net in our town.
Fair enough and you're probably right. ChinaBeached made a similar assertion in a PM conversation we've been having. However, I will say, despite what some might like to think, we (CX) are attracting pilots with 'experience', despite the package on offer.

The sad fact remains that our hiring methods are predominantly cost based.
I think it would be fair to say that this applies to all airlines.

We do not seek out the best candidate, but instead have focused on attracting the cheapest candidate.
Given my comment above, I don't necessarily agree with you.

Hours alone do not quantify aptitude.
Interesting that you should choose to quote ChinaBeached here. This is what I said earlier:

My point is, and always has been, that hours in and of themselves, are a meaningless metric to hang your hat on when deciding whether or not a pilot is likely to be competent.
and:

There's no doubt that experience will influence judgement but it's not the only factor: innate intelligence, innate ability, personality type, self-confidence, perception of own skill level, mood, attitude, fatigue level, crew combination and so forth. The wrong combination in a particular set of circumstances will inevitably affect the outcome and not always in a good way.
So, we actually agree it seems.

Personally, I try very hard to nurture and mold our young 200 hour pilots to the absolute best of my ability. It's not their fault they are being taken advantage of; the vast majority are good guys and gals.
As do we all, although I'm not sure they're being taken advantage of.

With "time and experience" they should develop nicely.
Agreed.

STP