PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain ridge crossing - safety review?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2016, 21:43
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maoraigh1
I take it you knew which side the downdrafts would be on.
Well, I have to confess, having a favourable forecast of only light 5 kts winds and none to few clouds at 8000 feet, I planned to cross at 7500 feet, 1000 feet safely above the ridge, where this wouldn't have posed a big risk. When the cloudiness that greeted me was different from forecast, at that point all I knew I had a tailwind (and this explains the cloud formation on the south side, where I was approaching from, and the fewer clouds on the other side). However, I definitely noticed the smooth ride towards the ridge, so I instintively prepared for the turbulence and downdraft after crossing, which was still pretty violent. Makes me think about how it is in case of moderate to strong winds....
I take it you were prepared for steep descending 180 turn.
You could see what you were flying into. It's your choice how confident you are in the cloud forming and downdraft predictions.
Actually the plan was for a 180 level turn at 45 degrees bank, on instruments, and then a straight descent out of the cloud, if I get into one. But this I delayed until losing sight of the ridge, which didn't happen.

But I'd never take my attention off what's happening around me to take photos in that sort of situation.
Yes, I hear you, it looks annoying on the recording, even to me! Loose object in the cocpit etc. My only excuse that my attention wasn't divided much, as the picture shots were made without looking into the finder or anything at the camera in fact. Just "blind" shots at whatever the camera can see and capture in automatic mode.

And I'd like to fly around near the ridge before going that close, to confirm wind effects.
Good point, many thanks.