PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 6
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2016, 07:52
mr_moose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had Humberside still been part of MAG, I suspect that we might be in a simular situation to DTV. Leaving the MAG group in 2012 was the best thing for the airport from a financial stand, heres what the accounts were like before and after... https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0...ies-house-data

Since then, green shoots have started to appear. We now have Thompsons back, Palma summer only, then from Oct Tenerife starts and will operate year round (The first charter to have done so for around 8 years). We also have new routes to Billund and Aalborg operating twice per week.

How Humberside manages to run charters and DTV im not sure, but what I have noticed, is that many charters operate on Saturdays, when Amsterdam is only twice daily and Aberdeen does operate. Mon-Fri, the departure boards from HUY and DME are pretty much the same, but today for instance we have these charters, in addition to 2 Amsterdam flights:
8.25 to Venice (BA Cityflyer, one off charter)
9.00 Balkan Holidays to Bougras (A321)
11.10 Jersey (Flybe DH8 or E170)
12.35 Alicante (BA Cityflyer)
14.45 Palma (BA Cityflyer)
Not sure if the airport has encouraged charters to operate on Saturdays or if this is just how its worked out, but it probably means that can make more money than just 1 flight, where extra staff and resources would only needed for 2 hours? Don't get me wrong, Humberside is still a struggling little airport, with stagnated passenger numbers (around 230,000 pa) and is not likely to get back to its peak of 2006ish anytime soon, but at least there seems to be green shoots. We have a new airport hotel opening in a few months time as well.