PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fee Help - RTO's - And the little guy
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2016, 01:35
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
Forgive me if I see this a bit simplistically, although this fee help scheme allows trainees to access funds for training more easily, in the long run they will pay heaps more for the same qualifications?

Given the rorts I've seen from some training providers to gouge this money out of the unsuspecting, plus the undoubtedly prohibitive repayment regime from the Government (cause you don't get nothing for nothing...), then later on these new pilots will need to pay for further training, jet endorsements, etc - it all looks like the pilots of the future will become a new lower class of financial conscripts / slaves to their debt - with nothing tangible to show for it. You don't get equity in a pilot licence, enough to convince a lender to fund your family home, anyway!

I would think that wannabe pilots to ought to do it one of the traditional ways - get a job and pay for it as you go - takes longer but has no interest rate attached, or get a personal loan from a bank / parents (if lucky enough). That way you own the qualification and go out into the industry (possibly) unencumbered - which is how you need to be if you're going to start by drilling around the NT in a C210...

It is of interest to me, because I've recently started a flying school and do not wish to provide fee help based on the principles above. I have had this discussion with several hopefuls and am interested in the wider view.

I have seen the utterly depressing financial situation some of the younger pilots starting out in GA have got themselves into - and wonder how they will be able to get ahead financially despite all their work / study...