PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine Show - Pilotless Airliners
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2016, 12:55
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tourist

I don't want to get into a spat but I did read what you wrote.

The question posed by Neville was:

"How does autonomous aircraft fly through thunderstorms?"

The passengers (and possibly Neville) probably don't want to know that the picture is synthetic, that it is clever, or that computers are already in the loop. What would be more relevant is how the left/right/through/turn back decision is going to be made, bearing in mind that there may be non-meteorological restrictions to your course of action.

No need to be snide about my airline time.
OK, Badly worded, mea culpa, I was merely trying to ask/confirm how much weather avoidance experience you have had using modern weather radars in commercial ops, and if you thought they were up for the job of "advising" automated system downstream.

I'll reiterate what I have said before, I think you're right in claiming fully autonomous ops will happen, but from what I have heard (for the likes of my eldest who is working on an aspect of AI at a post grad level and others who have worked in the field for years) the various technologies involved are nowhere near enough mature or robust enough to support it in routine commercial ops for the foreseeable future, i.e. several decades.