PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad habits or just the real way to fly?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 21:30
Snakecharma

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
You will only pitch the aeroplane well above the target attitude on takeoff in a jet once before someone in the other seat gets grumpy.

And if you do what your instructor (hopefully soon to be ex instructor) is telling you to do in the sim with an engine failure it won't be pretty. (I appreciate he isn't in a jet (or assume he isn't) or a sim, but the habits developed now will come out when under stress later and as I say the bloke sitting next to him will quite rightly get a tad shirty).

Re the heading bug, the heading bug, amongst other things is an 'aide-memoire' so when you are loaded up hand flying the aeroplane you don't sit there and go "what heading did he want?" Single pilot IFR in a GA aeroplane with minimal support from Nav systems, decent instruments, autopilots etc is the hardest flying you will ever do in my opinion, don't let old mate stuff you up and generate even more work!

I was also taught to turn the heading bug in the required direction of turn even if that isn't the shortest way to the heading.ie. Turn left heading 123. I turn the heading bug left to get to the heading. This had the benefit of reinforcing the direction of turn in your head. Easy to dismiss as unnecessary when we are talking over the computer, but when in a high workload environment it is an easy enough mistake to make. In one of the aeroplanes I flew the autopilot would take the shortest way there, so even if you turned the bug left but the desired heading was less than 180 degree to the right, it would turn right. So you had to turn the heading bug slowly until the desired heading was within 180 degrees of the actual heading. Buggered if I can remember what aeroplane it was but it was a turboprop or jet but one I have not flown for over 20 years so.

PS tee emm, I took his line "set an attitude on the AH" to mean get the aeroplane to the attitude he wanted I.e. Set the attitude, not set anything to do with a flight director.

Last edited by Snakecharma; 23rd Aug 2016 at 22:57.