PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad habits or just the real way to fly?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 20:13
julietbravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks @Hempy, I should've explored forums more to find the right catergory to post under.

@das Uber soldat and @Tee Emm, sorry I was trying to post from my phone so it made it difficult to edit.

For takeoff I've been setting an attitude to try to achieve the desired performance (79kt).
In the manoeuvre section of the aircraft operations manual, it says the attitude for 79kt is approximately 12-15 degrees.
So I have been setting that attitude and initially the airspeed is higher, but after settling in the climb for a sec or two at that attitude, the airspeed does come back to 79kt.
But what my trainer tells me to do when raising the nose, is to bring the nose attitude up so that it's at 79kt (above 12-15 degrees) from the start and then lower the attitude when the airspeed starts decreasing to maintain 79kt.
I guess I can see the benefits of doing it his way because of the clearance it would give you over obstacles, I just find it more guess work than anything and by doing that i'm putting so much emphasis on watching the ASI.
I hope that makes it more clear.
I think because I know things one way, it's difficult to trust when someone is telling me to do something completely different to what I've spent hundreds of hours doing. I just want to know what I'm being taught is right, will benefit my flying and keep passengers safe.

The reason I actually asked about those other things such as the HDG bug is because he keeps nagging me about it, whenever I bug first. I bug first because it means I only focus on one thing at a time rather than turning and bugging simultaneously. Personally I think it's because he is impatient and when he gives me a heading to turn on to he expects it ASAP, rather than one second later. I did just want to clarify in case later on in my career, I should be turning first rather than bugging or to be more responsive to ATC.

Thanks for your replies.