PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bad habits or just the real way to fly?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 20:10
rmcdonal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you need to change instructors.
I would not pitch above the required attitude and then lower the nose once the speed had bled off, easier to rotate at the correct rate for your type and aim for a given attitude that you then adjust from. That way if you loose an engine you are less likely to find yourself below v2, and with both going the extra speed is unlikely to affect your terrain clearance by anything worth measuring.

Second thing he's telling me is to turn then bug.
Why? Why would you do that? Set the bug to tell you when you have reached your required heading, setting after is just stupid. If you are hand flying (and you must be if that's the way they instruct you to move the bug) then why make it more difficult?

Thirdly is I did a parallel entry into a hold and was waiting till the turn outbound was complete before timing one minute and then he asked if I was going to get him to time my one minute. I replied saying I was waiting for the turn outbound to be complete but was told no I start it once overhead which made my intercept inbound a lot harder with higher banked turns because I wasn't far outbound in the entry procedure. (I know the way he told me was wrong but was wondering why he would think that's the correct way to do it or been taught that way?)
Sounds like your instructor doesn't know what they are talking about.
Ditch them now, or waste money learning incorrect procedures.

If it's an airline.....