PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirLander take off then 2nd Flight Mishap
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 17:57
Scuffers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist
Ok.

I'm a military pilot, with both rotary and fixed wing experience in places where locals occasionally test their bang-sticks in a friendly way towards you.

I was always led to believe that 2000ft kept you safe from small arms fire, but I am sure one of the other ex mil pilots will be along to explain my error soon if you are correct.....

p.s. I love the fact that being resolutely positive towards something can be described as "trolling"
really?

Look, I'm sorry to have to pop back up, but even a cursory glance at the subject brings up stuff like this:

"The maximum range of this weapon (specifically the M107 variant) is 4,000 metres (4,400 yd), as quoted in the owner's manual." - Barrett M82

or maybe something more mundane, like an M16 - Maximum firing range 3,600 m (3,937 yd)

Now, sure they can't fire that far straight up, but I am dam sure it will exceed your 2,000Ft and then some.

then we get to Manpads, with several quite capable of hitting targets over 20,000 ft up.

Now, a helo is always going to be vulnerable, but at least it can manoeuvre, what's a blimp going to do? it's a massive target, can't more fast and certainly can't do 'evasive' maneuvers.