PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine Show - Pilotless Airliners
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 17:05
Uplinker

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
........over-excitement by such as Uplinker.........
Ha ha ! You're funny Tourist. As for me; no I am not very excited by autonomous vehicles, sorry.

I stand corrected about the one I mentioned - I wasn't sure, hence the question mark at the end of my sentence I don't have a reference to it, but as I understand it (and I might be wrong), a vehicle with supposedly computerised control of some sort ultimately crashed and did so owing to a confusion of its vision system. Can you give me a link to it if you have one?

Judging by your impressive total of 3,419 posts so far, you seem to be the one who gets excited about things and cannot resist telling the rest of us about it.

That is extremely simplistic and is an attempt to sell an extraordinarily flawed vision system as ideal.
I am not selling anything. I agree, our vision system is certainly not perfect, (did I say it was?). The point I was making was that it uses the most advanced and complex thing in the known universe - the human brain. Our vision system has taken millions of years to evolve. The brain has approximately 100 billion neurons and each neuron has about 10,000 connections to other neurons. That sounds like quite a tricky task to simulate to me.

.......... This is why there are millions of optical illusions.
Millions of optical illusions? Are there really?

Computers don't suffer from them.
Why did Asimo walk into the door?

Despite this, I recognise that computers will be better than me in every way soon, as autopilots already are at handling.
The ones I use (Airbus FBW) are very good indeed, but when the autopilots meet something that is beyond them, they drop out and hand control to us. If we weren't there in the cockpit, what would happen then?

Last edited by Uplinker; 23rd Aug 2016 at 17:18.