PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine Show - Pilotless Airliners
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 15:59
olster

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
That's odd because I have actually been an airline pilot for the last (nearly) 40 years and I don't think that cabin crew can do my job, and I mean no disrespect in that statement. Tourist: I don't know what 'flying' you did with that unnamed airline but it does not seem that you were intellectually engaged at any level. It is easy to 'downplay' the pilot role but sometimes this is overdone. Automation is a great tool but as the correspondent says with reference to cars; often the automation is more complex and increases workload, quite the reverse of the intention. Even my wife (former cabin crew!) was outraged at the drivel spouted on this particular edition of the 'Jeremy Vine show.' Populism and controversy are obviously the aim rather than technical accuracy. If a respected test pilot such as John F can't convince you that pilotless airliners are a long way from fruition I doubt whether I can. However, my day job is generally fending off curved balls and dealing with situations / threats that computers without the (yet) benefit of my experience cannot. As John says, the computers can fly much better than I can even after all these years. However, they do not have the capability of rational human - like thought.

Last edited by olster; 21st Aug 2016 at 16:10. Reason: spelling!