PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine Show - Pilotless Airliners
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 12:51
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Think of all those increased insurance premiums for pilotless aircraft,
I think it will be the exact opposite. I think that insurance companies will demand unmanned.

Think of all the salaries for the researchers, developers, engineers, maintainers, controllers
The researchers are researching anyway. That money is being spent as we argue.

think of what happens the first time a control signal is hacked or lost. Worth more than a few billion I think
You have a basic misunderstanding of the word autonomous.

Have you noticed, incidentally, that pretty much all modern airliners are essentially software driven.
Can you name a single event where an airliner has been hacked?

And I doubt whether the military could transform the entire global airline system. Militaries are notorious for cost overruns, delays, inefficiencies, and the governments of the world are tightening their belts.
Doubting that the military has the ability to transform the entire global airline system is to doubt history.

The entire civil aviation industry follows pretty much every single innovation that military aviation has pioneered.

Monoplanes
Monocoque
Wooden
Metal
Jets
Fly by wire
HUD

The list covers pretty much everything.

Yes militaries have cost overruns. That is unlikely to stop any time in the next 1000yrs.
Your point?

The last major manned fighter program in the west is just becoming operational.

There is not even a plan for anything other than unmanned/autonomous fighters of the future.

You should think about that.