PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine Show - Pilotless Airliners
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2016, 21:39
keith williams

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I sometimes hear the Jeremy Vine Show as background noise when I am driving about. (Notice that I say “hear” and not “listen to”) There was a time when I made the mistake of taking his attitudes and statements as genuine reflections of what he actually thought and believed. That often made me very angry indeed. But over time I have come to realize that his job is to generate lively debate by inciting listeners to contribute their comments. He achieves this very effectively by spouting the most outlandish comments that he can think up. If you keep this fact in mind you will remain much calmer.

Personally I believe that we will have pilotless passenger aircraft at some time in the future. We already have pilotless vehicles flying to other planets and driving around on the surface of Mars, so pilotless passenger aircraft are not beyond the future bounds of possibility. Their introduction will provide a number of benefits and a number of new risks. Some people will be killed and some will be saved.

You may well be right. But, what is the human population going to do to earn its keep & pay for its travel on these computerized travel systems ?

You are making the mistake of assuming that we have been put on this planet to earn a living. Although people have needed to earn a living in the past, this will not necessarily be the case in the future. (we already have an increasingly large section of the population who get by quite happily without ever doing a days work). If we were to reach the stage at which automated machines could provide for all of our material needs, then there would be no need for anyone to work to earn a living. Given the option of getting everything you need for free, or flying passenger aircraft around the world, most people would go for the free option (and fly just for fun).