PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO back at CX
Thread: DEFO back at CX
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2016, 16:34
TurningFinalRWY36

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think CX will have a lot of problems with regards to crewing in 10 years time, plenty of A/B scale captains will have retired and the C scalers will take their place. The issue is most C scalers are still quite early on in their career and as they gain experience more options will open up and it will make complete sense for them to move on. The reality is that the package offered to C scalers is inadequate and no one wants to live their entire life not owning a place of their own. This is the reality for 99.9% of C scalers. It is impossible to bring up a family, the cost of living, schooling and trying to afford a 3-4 bedroom is just not possible, let alone saving for retirement. Cathay will have become a stepping stone airline and it will cost them far more in the loss of dedicated crews and increased training costs to replace them. The management right now are just looking at their bonuses and don't realise that they are slowly killing the airline and history will continue to repeat itself with the next bunch of those on the 9th floor.
I don't think it will ever be possible to show these 'people in charge' the right way but if they offered a decent package that allowed their crew to afford to live in the most expensive city in the world cathay would be a much stronger airline.
I think most people realise B scale is never coming back but the disparity between B and C is far too large and I am afraid that it will be the demise of cathay as they will continue to struggle to crew aircraft and retain pilots.
Most of us who joined cathay had the intention of making this our last job before retirement but if management continue down the path they have taken it will only push crews towards taking the leap towards better opportunities and eventually will destroy a 70 year legacy.