PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO back at CX
Thread: DEFO back at CX
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2016, 12:24
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STW:
I don't remember much opposition at the time expat SO's still got B.
Because the remuneration package weeded out the low-time or inexperienced applicants. The min requirements used to be 1000 hrs TT. But to be competitive for the job an applicant really needed 3000-5000 hrs along with approx. 1000 hrs multi engine Command time and/or jet time. As you mentioned earlier: supply and demand. Supply an attractive reward & the demand will be such that it will attract applicants accordingly. Now, with the C Scale package, applicants with the experience that once used to be the norm are now by far (very far) the absolute exception. Pay bananas, you'll get monkeys.

I also know of applicants who got in as B Scale SO's with just over 1000 hrs TT. They had tertiary degrees in Science and could fly the pants off most people with 5 times those hours. So hours does not always equate to competence (however I do believe there is a coalition).

So we discuss TRAINING standards to replace lack of experience. Some mental pigmies here have categorically stated how real aircraft flying is a waste of time in lieu of the illustrious simulator. You know, the same one you can crash by screwing up your V1 cut when at MTOW but walk away from and laugh about later... No. Not the same and never will. In the real aircraft we learned from out mistakes because the jeopardy was real and as such the lessons learned, experience grown and professionalism gained.

So correct me please on the realities of CX's SO sim training. An SO from the B Scale era was required to fulfil 12 or 14 full-flight sim sessions prior to commencement of line training. But a C Scale SO with far, far, FAR, F A R less experience now only receives 4 FFS sessions? So do you think CX is really still putting safety and training first - seriously? What's scariest of all is that these spiky haired brats honestly believe they have "The Right Stuff' as true guardians of the AP....until a TCAS RA occurs and the other pilot is out taking leak.... (Happy to be corrected on the FFS SO training syllabus).

...on the one hand you clearly have nothing but contempt for our new-joiners, on the other hand you fall into your sword to get them more housing.
That's what a union does. They stand together for the betterment of ALL, and not just themselves. Too many of the fast becoming majority don't see that. They see me-first only and it being all too tough to live on a disgraceful remuneration package that they asked for, and what's more see themselves as "doing all the heavy lifting" in this TB and CC state of affairs.

(However at CX I'll acknowledge that it's only when the AOA and the membership see their own money or lifestyle threatened do they act. By allowing C Scale to even happen without so much as whisper of action is evidence enough... And so now they're fighting to play catch up against what should have never been allowed to occur from the beginning).

Yes, C Scale is here to stay. However is what form it takes toward the future is the debate and worth fighting for. Do nothing and let's set the stop watch for D Scale. And then you'll all wonder "How did this happen [AGAIN.....]"?

Last edited by ChinaBeached; 16th Aug 2016 at 14:11.