PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO back at CX
Thread: DEFO back at CX
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2016, 12:25
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam Ting Wong

I appreciate you are trying to give an alternative viewpoint. But some of your numbers are quite off.

A DEFO joining today will be about 2000 places behind the most recent captain. CX has never completed 100 commands in a year. Let's say they can average 100 from now on - that's twenty years. Let's say they maintain a command rate over 50% higher than any previous year, that means command in over 13 years. What do you think is a good average number of commands for the next decade?

A career in EK is worth at least 30% more in after tax earnings. By career - I mean 15+years. Of course I have ignored the fact you will get 2-3,000 square feet in housing there vs 400-800 square feet here...unless you want to live past Tai Po, or Tuen Mun. But then that is like moving to Sydney and living in Blacktown! But in that analysis I assumed command in 12 years at CX - unrealistic now IMHO. So EK looks even better, financially speaking!

Housing costs - you have forgotten the fact that C scalers already get HKPA. So the increase in cost is currently about $50K per month - $600K per year. There are over 1,000 C scale joiners so the total extra housing bill is less than a Billion. And recent comments from CMP vendors has questioned management as to why they don't have a far greater number based. So the total cost could actually be reduced AND provide a happier, more adequately compensated workforce.

B scale salaries are ABOVE A scale in almost all cases today! There are some minor exceptions. So not sure what you are thinking here?

Yes all departments need to trim costs - but think about this - whilst not doing anything about the training ban has cost the company probably over $10B a year in foregone revenue with the associated economies of scale. All to ensure management is not beholden to any pressure from the pilot body.

Look, I get the business side of things pretty well so I don't rant and rave against them. But you are seeming to be an unthinking cheerleader for them without using real numbers or facts.

Keep it real!