PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO back at CX
Thread: DEFO back at CX
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2016, 01:00
BillytheKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billy,

I am on B, and I disagree strongly with the general opinion that C is hurting B. The opposite is true.

B is not the market rate anymore.

In the old days there were not enough pilots on the market that would have joined for C money.

But you and I did not need A to come, B was just fine.

Times have changed.
I will offer proof: why should CX pay B or A when they get pilots willing at C? You are absolutely right that times have changed. Those that joined on A scale were making the choice to leave their homes basically for good. No internet, no VoIP, expensive phone charges, etc. Not so in this millenium so I believe that B scale reflects that change.

Cathay could not be successful in the market with everybody on B.
Please tell me you're not that nieve to believe this is true.

Everybody who joins Cathay on the current terms has made a free choice. It is not for us to judge that, I don't know the circumstances, I do not know the person, I do not know their preferences.
I'm not judging anyone, merely recognizing that having pilots on property doing the same job for less hurts us.

Pilot cost is approximately 5% of any airline's total cost; fuel being the highest at 50%. The company pissed away over a billion USD on fuel hedging and was still profitable. Can you explain how CX would lose money/shareholders based on this evidence?