PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dam Buster Training & Raid Routes
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2016, 22:52
vhrsfvhojb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all replies so far.I have seen all of the above, but am looking for much more detail on the routings. So far, Euler's books, and the ref above at https://dambustersblog.com/2011/09/2...n-re-creation/ have given most detail. I'm trying to follow up on the latter to get a copy of the actual plan he used. I know pretty well where the turning points were, but the implications of the above link are that there were very specific objects at the TPs. Many are obvious - coastal features, canal junctions, river bends, etc. It looks as though wherever possible they selected water features as showing best in moonlight, whilst trying to avoid known airfields, flak spots etc. Still hoping for more... Flying FS X at night by moonlight on the date and time is challenging. I'm still talking to Forum techies about how to remove all ground lighting - towns, roads etc, as there would have been blackout condits on the ground. Terrain flat most of the way, but after the final turn to the Mo(e)hne it's much tougher trying to terrain-hug with a sluggish a/c and not much vis ahead.