PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DEFO back at CX
Thread: DEFO back at CX
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2016, 21:01
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billy,

I am on B, and I disagree strongly with the general opinion that C is hurting B. The opposite is true.

B is not the market rate anymore.

In the old days there were not enough pilots on the market that would have joined for C money.

But you and I did not need A to come, B was just fine.

Times have changed.

C is the new B.

The only way B can survive is thru grandfathering, as did A ( somehow) and that needs C to keep costs at an acceptable level.

Cathay could not be successful in the market with everybody on B.

A few years ago the same was true for A.

Imagine an airline in the current market with thousands of pilots on A.

Who would buy their shares? I wouldn't and none of you would.

The same will be said of B in a few years.

Just do the math.

Cathay needs to be profitable in order to continue B for those on it, or there will be cuts.

B needs C to survive.

Stop telling C guys their package is bad, it isn't.

Everybody who joins Cathay on the current terms has made a free choice. It is not for us to judge that, I don't know the circumstances, I do not know the person, I do not know their preferences.

I joined at a much higher age, with more experience, and I gave up a well paying job at home.

Why should I compare my package with the current employment offer, with a totally different profile of the average new-joiner?

It is the market price they accepted, and there is no such thing as "bad" or "good" in a free economy like Hong Kong. There is a market price, and that is that.

If the company decides to top up the housing for C, fine! ( it would help not to vote down the offer though).

Food for thought:

If C costs go up, something has to give.

Will it be the shareholder or a B pilot?

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 8th Aug 2016 at 23:00.