PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question for all.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2003, 02:29
M134

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A question for all.

A question for all!

I joined the Royal Air Force in the early eighties. When I arrived on my first Sqn I was very much the new boy. It was my role to learn and take more rough than smooth. The trainers were roughly half way through their careers and the movers and shakers were nearing the end of theirs. There were high fliers but they were the exception. Most people on the Sqns had the opportunity to opt for this desk route if they wished, but the majority elected to stay on the ‘unofficial Sqn flying career’:

1.Whipping boy day one, sky God after beer day two, SDO day three.

2.At least first tour enjoying flying and not allowed anything more demanding than rations as a secondary duty. Possibly learn to fly.

3.Second tour trusted to amend AP’s. Not happy with the administrative burden this brings but really enjoying the flying.

4.Third tour surprised when new boys ask your advice. Become Sqn trainer.

5.Etc.

Sadly the ‘Sqn career’ is no longer available/appealing (I honestly would not know which to delete) to our new arrivals. They are expected/want to go straight to ‘high flier’ or point 4 by the end of their first tour.

Is my memory correct and if so does it matter? Or am I just a passed over ‘old git’ wistfully looking back on the good old days through rose tinted spectacles.

This is not a whinge, just a straight question. More importantly if you are a first tourist is the ‘Sqn career’ available to you and if not would it appeal? If you are well into your service do you think the Forces can operate this form of career or are we really so undermanned that from day one everyone needs to be able to perform the duties of SHQ whilst sorting out Sqn Ex/Ops commitments? Is this just an RAF thing?