PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is fatigue a problem at Emirates?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2016, 06:10
nzpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twiglet, you are on the money re fatigue in my book.
I've spent the last 30 years on long haul, including a season with Brittania flying to Orlando and the Caribbean, and would offer the following comments in support of twiglets point.
Stay in local departure time or nearby whilst away. It can be antisocial, but you will arrive home in better shape.
Even on our Air NZ 10 day return trip to London and back I practise this, even though the best time for sleep in the UK is after lunch, around midnight NZ time.
Regarding scientific fatigue testing, I believe AirNZ were the first, or amongst the first to use actigraph wristwatch monitors for awake/asleep monitoring, along with a reaction timer device used at regular intervals during a tour of duty. We now have good baseline data to measure any new TODuty against.
Interestingly, when we tested one night Vs two night London layovers, as part of the 10 day TOD mentioned above the fatigue levels were similar, but in my opinion one night away in the most distant time zone is the best option, although antisocial, and hopeless for enjoying the sights of London.
We also put any new tours through the British DERA model to assess the potential for fatigue.

However we don't do 100 hour rosters, around 75-85 duty time is normal for us, and time in the bunk counts.
In our recent pilot intakes we have had, Emirates, Ethihad, Qantas, and Cathay pilots, so it can't be too tough down here.

Originally Posted by Twiglet1
Plank
Ref 24 hour rest periods. This is a extract from UK CAP371 and was specifically aimed at Charter airlines flying from UK to Orlando often via Bangor for fuel e.g. in the days that they used 757's. So outbound in the day and return at night.
On arrival in USA the (best practice) advice was to stay up as long as possible thus avoiding being awake at 0200 local time watching mickey mouse or bible programmes waiting for breakfast.
Some 20 years on the science says stick to departure local time, keep the iPad stocked up and have emergency rations. Then get up early and then nap before the night flight home.
This takes a serious amount of dedication and selfishness e.g. no I'm not being g social and or taking in the sights.
Not for every trip I agree and again it depends on the operation. At EK v difficult as the ops are so varied
And even with the above- fatiguing