PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Gate
Thread: GA Gate
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2016, 09:47
youngmic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICDIT,

I applaud your efforts for trying to address this issue, it is just one of the many issues that compound to squash GA.

I am not sure what level of regional airport you are targeting, most smaller country airports that have any security (many don't and seemingly have no issues) rely on a simple key coded access using typically the CTAF or other local frequency, but you no doubt know that.

I understand some FIFO airstrips in the west can be more restrictive.

Your idea is not a bad one, but without knowing the specific airports you are targeting it is difficult to comment as there are differing levels of security requirements based on the type of operations conducted at the airport.

Certainly as far as country airports with no more than low capacity RPT Ops go I would favour the simple key code access system that has proven to be pretty effective.

Mildura in Victoria is an interesting case, they have numerous daily high capacity RPT Ops connecting with capital city airports. Yet access airside is as simple as entering a monthly changed discreet key code for the gate. The code can only be obtained either directly from the ARO or from the airside sign on the inside of the gate you leave via. I am not aware they have had any significant security issues or unlawful interference with parked aircraft.

This system strikes me as the optimal balance, simple, cheap and to date effective.

On a positive note, how about this.

Port Lincoln SA has a dedicated clean modern GA terminal off the side of the RPT terminal, access to it and airside is via the AWIS #'s. Inside are table chairs, fridge, kitchen sink, microwave, tea/coffee and milk, clean toilets even a separate room with a bunk bed and clean linen.

Dedicated for GA flyers.

Amasing what can happen when the ARO responsible has done some time working for a FBO at a busy airport in the US and learns first hand how it could be and should be. And he's chuffed and proud when folk use it and appreciate his efforts.

Last edited by youngmic; 7th Aug 2016 at 09:59.