PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - never fear, ryan air is here
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2016, 21:00
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience (+31 years in the business, and until quite recently +7 years in FZ.. though I've since resigned and departed the sandpit = happy days!), I've operated to more than my fair share of challenging places (**** holes) around the planet.

During my stint within FZ, I regularly had the company of some very (read that as 'very!!!') inexperienced F/O's in the RHS (with some, but not all, being local UAE 'Cadet Pilots') and it'd be fair to say that all were as keen as mustard to learn and therein they rapidly developed & excelled, i.e. when under the auspices of good instruction.

That said, imho, the ones to watch out for were the supposedly experienced F/O's, and from whom I've more than once had to take control.

So, imho, it's not about total hours.

What is about is sectors; the operating environment in which those sectors were attained; their ability to 'adapt'; their ability & attitude to learn.

It's also very much about the ability & knowledge of their instructors !

Therein my biggest complaint would be that far, far, too many so called 'instructors' (typically "yes!" men getting promoted to training positions) seemingly have a fine grasp of the non-essentials (e.g. they're massively wrapped-up in the minutiae of the SOP's) but haven't a f'ing clue (or are themselves unable to demonstrate, let alone teach) how to land a Public Transport jet in +35kt crosswind, and veritably the **** that some of them come out with (and teach, to impressionable F/O's) simply beggars belief... for some of them I'm sure it'd be acceptable to fly into a f'ing mountain, just so long as you were following SOP to the letter and / or that it was 'legal' (I can feel an attack of Tourette's Syndrome coming on).

Fwiw, I'm now HoT at my new lot and the regime I'm implementing here is all about flying the aeroplane first & foremost along with (and I can almost hear my ME counterparts wincing at the suggestion) those old chestnuts called common sense & 'airmanship' !