PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Washington State aircraft damaged during search and rescue
Old 28th Jul 2016, 19:21
TwinHueyMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A pusher is better than a tractor, but the tractor on a H1/205/212 rotates up on the front (vs down in the front on the pusher) which adds more help than which side it's on from what I hear. The 212 drivetrain has bigger TR blades than the stock UH-1D/H and 205 blades. These are available for the UH-1 and 205 with a 212 drivetrain swap, which typically also includes the 212 MR blades paired with a -17 donk. I think they call it a 205A++. If they could have a pusher that rotates up in front, I think it'd be key - not sure this exists though.

The only TR enhancement this bird has (if I remember correctly from seeing it while in WA) is the fast fin and strakes. Northwest Helicopters built it I believe, as well as the WA DNR Hueys, which also have the wrong side/wrong direction tail rotors - but those crews attested to how much the fast fin and strake helped when BLR was first pushing the mod to the market. Before this, the stock fin and tail rotor meant they were routinely holding full left pedal and spinning out of dip spots up in the hills.

Never flew a Huey in the PNW, so this is all hearsay based on working Black Hawks up there. We ran out of tail rotor occasionally, but for completely different reasons!

Mike

Last edited by TwinHueyMan; 28th Jul 2016 at 19:37.