PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2016, 16:42
RHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it all depends on where you're coming from, as I personally came from a quite unstable company, with simply unmanageable rostering, I have come to BA and I think life is pretty easy.

Pluses at BA:

Decent skippers
Good Pay
An absolutely bullet proof agreement, roster changes and general messing around are a thing of the past. This was my major bug bear at my last operator
Lots of holidays and time off, it seems like I am always about to have leave or time off
12/13 days off a month, compared to my previous 8/10
Easily the most secure job in UK aviation
Good Pension
Fantastic staff travel
A fair seniority system.
Variety of routes
Good training.
I'll say it, some very decent, fair managers.
Variety of types,
An ops department who will ask favours, but also give them back. I have done them a few favours (coming in a little early, staying behind, swapping a trip to help them out) but they have in turn gotten me a best mates wedding off, taken exceptionally good care of me when I had a sick family member, swapped some leave, given me the trips i've wanted on reserve, you get the idea.

Negatives at BA:

Huge organisation and you can be very anon (some people like this)
Morale can be an issue, again nothing compared to how negative things can when you're about to be made redundant, or dealing with constant roster changes.
Uncertainty around JSS and management plans
Only SE base, this is really the only big downside for me, I would really love to be based closer to home up north.

Of course these are big issues for other guys, and I'm sure these negatives differ for other people, but these are purely as I have found them.

As for 900 hours, I would say I will do about 800 this year, summer is pretty heavy, but winter seemed very easy. I would agree the current manpower levels will undoubtedly need to be adjusted, but I guess that's why they are recruiting?

All in all a very good move FOR ME. I wouldn't come to BA just because its "the best job in UK aviation" because if being based in Manchester flying the 737 and being home every night is something you enjoy, BA isn't for you.

Last edited by RHS; 28th Jul 2016 at 17:03.