PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Washington State aircraft damaged during search and rescue
Old 27th Jul 2016, 20:45
LRP

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
What Twin Huey means is that this machine needs the "flip-flop" modification, so the tail rotor goes onto the other side of the fin, which then lets it rotate up into the rotor downwash.
What I was referring to is that the "pusher" tail rotor is more effective than a tractor. The problem with the UH-1 T/R is that it rotates in the wrong direction. Bell's solution was to flip it to a tractor to get it rotating up into the M/R downwash without having to redesign the gearbox to change the rotation. The increase in efficiency by the rotation change out-weighed the decrease in efficiency by switching sides.
In mid-1970 an MWO came out for the AH-1G that flopped the T/R to a tractor, the difference in available left-pedal was noticeable. Later during the AH-1S (MOD) program the 212 tail rotor, 42 and 90 deg gearboxes and control system (all part of the AH-1J) was added to increase the efficiency of the tail rotor as part of the ICAM. Although I have no personal experience with it, I believe that this is the modification that is available for the 205 along with L-703 engine and modified transmission.