PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK poor for Night Flying - HELP!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2016, 07:31
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
night flying in a single engine plane is about 2.5 times more dangerous than day flying,
Really? I'd like to see the reference for that information. I've been reading the UK AAIB reports for over 30 years now and my gut feeling is that there are VERY few SEP accidents at night, as I recall mostly as a result of running out of fuel. But then again, there is relatively little SEP flying at night, so...

We're lucky to have an aerodrome with lighting 10NM away, but they do close at 2130 local, plus we have to night-stop there as we have no lights of our own.

Buying and maintaining even the simplest set of lights, then recovering the costs through a per use fee would be prohibitive for us. I think our jaundiced attitude to airfield fees has been affected by the apparent cheapness of these things in the US. There, the taxpayer pays instead of the user, many would say this is unfair. Personally I'd be outraged if I found out that all horse stables and livery was paid for out of my taxes and horse riders got it for free.

TOO