PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2016, 06:44
Constructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who has lived in Luton for over 60 years and has a career in construction for over 40 years I am appalled at this debacle of traffic / pedestrian management that has not only been allowed to develop at the airport but has continued for days on end, getting worse each day.
What do I see happening next? 1) Govia Thameslink may temporarily suspend their bus service to the station. 2) All bus/coach operators, both national and local may suspend the airport bus stop. 3) Beds police may advise LLAO that they are causing local traffic congestion and Trunk Road congestion. Dept of Transport could become involved 4) Ambulance and Fire services may advise that their response times are greatly affected by traffic congestion at LLA. The more serious side to this item is in the event of a full scale emergency at the airport how is the Emergency Response plan affected. Could the CAA get involved and review the terms of the operating licence? 5) Local residents and businesses affected by the congestion will get on to their local councillors. Luton Borough Council, the Landlord, now becomes involved. I suspect that in the franchise agreement LBC do have certain powers they can invoke.
What can be done to alleviate this problem. LTN man has seen a road hump that is causing a problem. Take it out now. Again LTN man has seen a length of temporary fencing which if was moved would assist traffic flow. Move it now. LLAO to hire from Beds police force officers in full hi vis uniform with loudhailers to control the pedestrian crossings. Hire them now to start at 5am Tuesday morning. LBC to extend the Bus Lane up to the Ibis Roundabout. A line of large cones straight up the middle. They can use their emergency powers to do it now.
To the Board of Directors of LLAO, who I hope are meeting at this very moment to resolve this problem just try the above proposals. They may just work, nothing to loose.
Then review the whole construction programme.