PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotting ADF / VOR facilities
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 23:32
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plazbot
"Or the GPS is jammed (the military can do this and have done it regularly in the past)
Or the aircraft GPS receiver goes U/S. This frequently occurs due to antenna failure."

Akro, please quantify 'regularly' and 'frequently' and then show us the statistical proof that these events are more unsafe than the other options. Thanks in advance.
There used to be regular notams about it. Common sites were near Hamilton in VIC & Woomera in SA. GPS is a relatively simple broadcast at relatively weak levels. My understanding is that it is very easy to jam and that all military's have the ability to conduct localised jamming.

Some GPS data that I'm reviewing for a court case at the moment has a 12 tonne Motorhome doing over 160 km/h for 100 seconds. This is from a professional GPS data logger, not a consumer device. I was driving it and it wasn't. Clearly we have 100 seconds of corrupt GPS signal. Most probably it was a disturbed signal from building reflection or tree cover. The area of this disturbance was on the Princes Highway near Pakenham VIC. It doesn't affect my evidence in this instance, but does serve to illustrate the fragility of GPS.