PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotting ADF / VOR facilities
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2016, 09:18
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a redundant navaid system - it's called the Backup Navigation Network.
Yeah, I was waiting for that. The back up system is actually half reasonable and, I suspect, relies on NDB's more than most people expect. For GA, VOR now has very limited use. But west of the "J - curve" the NDB network is very useful.

I'd argue 4 major points:
1. I think AsA is derelict in its duty by not maintaining an existing aid for training / currency in the Melbourne basin (and probably other capitals)
2. I don't understand why it turned off aids that were working perfectly, rather than leaving them to expire
3. I don't understand why AsA would not do what the FAA has done and leave aids active but cease flight testing them. Specifically, NDB's where I completely fail to see the need for flight testing. Surely these could be pilot monitored?
4. The AsA charge out rate for navaid certification is unconscionable. If it were a private company it would be subject to ACCC scrutiny. Why is there no impulsion for AsA to benchmark its costs with other agencies. Surely they are one of the most expoensive agencies in the world. Australia has less ILS equipped runways than most 3rd world countries. And it seems to me that the key reason is (thanks to AsA & CASA) it costs about 7 times that of America to install one. Can't we get a bunch of yanks on 457 visa's to do it???