PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2016, 00:50
EK77WNCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we come back to this discussion in 6 months when Ryanair announce their winter schedule (and probably more routes) and then 12 months, with S18 and probably more routes) and then in 3 years to see where it's left NCL and it's incumbents?

I still can't get how this is a problem, it could lead to a Ryanair base if Brexit works out... It would definitely have led to one if we hadn't left and then it would be a much more secure base than now.

Easyjet are looking to expand at NCL... Guess how! By operating BRS and BFS from BRS and BFS, as well as PMI from PMI and maybe BCN from BCN. SXF is also operated from SXF... Now, how can you tell me that if this brings us 5-10 more Easyjet routes, without making the base any smaller, that that is a bad thing? EZY could probably increase their base size by 50% by doing that (if they do it - which I sincerely hope they do!) I know I'm being optimistic but what else is left?

Ryanair is not posing a risk to the airport - in the past, when they did, the airport said no to them to protect the airlines already at NCL. In the current climate, the airlines at NCL obviously see this as sustainable, and I agree, because we're way behind UK growth at the minute

I mean haway it's cheap seats to bucket and spade destinations, it's not as if American is going to fly to JFK daily... That would be overkill and trashing yields for them and UA.

Of course if we do lose out Ryanair will get the blame, they're growing at an acceptable pace in my opinion. If they were doing 2 daily ALC and PMI and dailies to AGP, FAO, TFS from the outset I'd get worried but they know the market and they're doing it very well I think

LS will not downsize, neither will Thomson. If Easyjet do it will be because of Brexit or Scottish APD. Ditto for Thomas Cook, and you can add their own company failings to that list as well although they aren't too bad for the moment.... Oh and the small matter of Turkey, Greece, Egypt and Tunisia being their bread and butter. Flybe, Bmir, Eastern... Nothing to do with Ryanair anyway.

Realistically there would only be a limited amount more jobs created... They already support jobs at the airport though, by having planes there, it's not as if Ryanair self handle or anything, they're keeping jobs safe. But I feel like I'm wasting my time and some people are just going to think we'd be better off without them anyway.

By the way, I think I am aiming high, because all I want to do is fly, I don't care who with, the job satisfaction would make up for it and I'll slum it wherever because it's the job I aspire to. The prestige of just being a pilot means more than the prestige of which airline I fly for in which country. I've worked 54 hours this week, I just finished at 00:30, one day off and then another 4 on, I'm not afraid to work for things I want... And to be able to sit up front in a commercial airliner is what I want

I do not see Ryanair as being the final nail in the coffin for Newcastle, I see them shaking things up a bit yes, because it feels like NCL has been a bit of a licence to print money at times for some airlines, and it's going to make them rethink and reshuffle and hopefully bring more variety. I see LPA and SXF from EZY as very good signs, as well as Almeria from TCX and LS (even if it is frustrating that they've both gone for the same place and LS didn't bother with Thessaloniki... But oh well!)