PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2016, 20:17
pallan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to say I can't help but agree with HeartyMeatballs - I hope you're wrong and I hope I'm wrong by agreeing with you though...

But the fact is Ryanair's new (and existing) offerings are, not including Poland, to places which already have significant capacity from the likes of EZY, TOM, TCX and LS. It may drive down prices which yes is great for consumers but if it's going to trash yields (which is very likely) then it's only a matter of time before someone quits

Personally, I can't see LS cutting back, they're getting a lot of new planes and let's face it, they need to send them somewhere.
EZY - can see them operating flights from other bases and closing the base in the medium-long term - bad for jobs and investment into the NE
TOM - I think they're fairly well established enough to be able to survive purely because of the package holiday market. They know which markets work and are very well known
TCX - again, can see them keeping the same, maybe downgrading 1 A321 to another leased out A320 or dropping the A320 (worst case). Although as with TOM, fairly well known in the region and might be able to survive.
Ryanair - Have already said investment in the UK is on hold because of Brexit, can't see them ever operating a base (hence few local jobs, little investment)

Regarding c£200 returns to Spain this weekend, this further highlights overcapacity on some routes - £200 return is an absolute steal for this time of year!

I'm sure the NCL 'route-dreamers' will be along to criticise my post sentence for sentence but the facts are - the NE is one of (if not the?) the most economic deprived areas in the UK, people will and do travel to MAN, Scotland etc. to save a few hundred quid and while planes may be full, doesn't necessarily mean a profit.

I would love to see all of the above operate together and survive, making healthy profits in the process however I feel Ryanair are just going to dump lots of cheap seats, pushing people away from established carriers who provide jobs and investment to the region.