PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MACC go on strike
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2003, 04:21
Loki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I`m one of many who would have wished for more mobility in their careers....I had moves blocked on more than one occasion due to a shortage of personnel (surely not). However, I understand the reluctance of many settled people to suddenly have to uproot and start again in a distant location.

The key factor here is the lack of choice and consultation, but we should not imagine that NATS is much different from many other employers. If management perceive a benefit from moving MACC to Scottish, or the far side of the moon, they are pretty much obliged to do it if the benefit is large enough....usually involves money somewhere along the line.

There are plenty of people about who did not want anything to do with Swanwick. A few of us had an escape route (early retirement, a posting to TC, alternative employment etc).Most of us however had to go along with it. I do not remember anybody suggesting strike action, and I do not suppose it would have got any support from the rest of NATS staff anyway.

If you can get out of it, go for it, otherwise make the best you can out of what for you is a cr*p situation. You have my sympathy, but talk of industrial action is fanciful.