PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan, Tianjin, Or wait for US Major
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2016, 16:50
CEA330Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PG: Having worked for two Chinese airlines in the past 8 years and a Hong Kong carrier for almost 11, if I were in your shoes I would NOT at this stage of your career consider working for a Mainland Chinese airline. The reason is simple; your standards will erode. There is very little good sim training to be had and most of it will be negative training - that is showing you things that will make your head spin. Ground training is done in Chinese, so forget about learning anything new. Please don't chase the money, it is NOT worth it. Your career will suffer immeasurably if you make the leap to China now. I was considerably older than you when I did so, but the most important thing I had going for me was my previous experience. I was very well trained at Dragonair and well versed in operating in China by the time I made the leap. If you really want to become an expat (I totally get that and have no regrets personally) and if you are SINGLE then I would suggest the following airlines:
1. Dragonair - no second officer position to worry about. My obvious bias. Please read threads on Fragrant Harbour for more insight.
2. Cathay Pacific - a larger more upscale airline with a global network, but you will start in a non-flying role.
3. Emirates, Etihad or QATAR.

Airlines to avoid: Hong Kong Airlines, Hong Kong Express or any airlines related to Hainan. Please feel free to add/subtract to the list.

Final parting message. Yes the grass may appear greener in China, but there is a huge sacrifice in job quality and job satisfaction that comes with the territory. By all means become an expat but really dig down to understand your motivation to become one. If it is money alone then you will not be satisfied anywhere in Asia. If you relish change, excitement and career progression then chose your airline wisely. Best of luck to you and feel free to PM me for more info on China.