PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2016, 16:39
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you mean the A505 roadworks I agree but if you are talking about the redevelopment work then I disagree. The old arrivals area closed on May 31st 2015 and work on the CTA started on August 5th 2015. Shutting down the building work in the summer months would just extend the agony into another year and would do nothing to help the traffic situation. The issue is the reduced drop off area with its barriers and the reduced short term car park. The drop off area was reduced in size late last summer and the short term car park was reduced I think from January this year.

The roundabout by the Holiday Inn is not the problem. The problem is that the traffic backs up to that roundabout and beyond from the CTA. That roundabout merges traffic from the M1, A1 and the internal road that feeds the rest of the airport so none of those roads can be closed.

The true reason, which was quietly forgotten here when I kept raising it, was in part due to the airport taking every extra route and airline that wanted to use Luton when clearly the airport was not going to cope. Looking back over the months and the monthly passenger figures the airport can just about handle a million passengers a month and that is it. At the moment it is operating at 43% above capacity in my opinion.

The chaos will cost the airport a lot of passengers who won't be coming back in a hurry to see the improvements but by the end of this year the CTA, drop off area, dual carriageway and the multistory car park will all be finished but there is still a great deal of pain to go as the terminal will not be finished until 2018.

Oh and as a side note the traffic jam now goes back to the M1 including the M1 slip road due to the lane closure on the A505 as all the commuters join the queue as they head for home.

Last edited by LTNman; 13th Jul 2016 at 16:51.