PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2016, 10:50
HeartyMeatballs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCL was well due right sizing in the run up to the economic crisis. As with everything back then, things were inflated and unsustainable.

Several airlines were on shakey ground and there was overkill on some routes. Globespan, Monarch long haul are no more. The quadruple STN flights are no more. BRS has been right sized. Long haul limited but appropriate to the market.

Now the airport seems to be in growth mode. However when the Scottish ruin things with their England subsidised APD reductions we could see further reductions so I am not sure the spending is warranted.

High prices are a good thing. I must admit the premium that airlines can charge for NCL flights gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

The current setup is sustainable. However if I was guy being paid millions to run the airport I'd be scaling back on any expansion ideas. The airport was fine before and did not need the refurbishments. The lounge often has a 'sorry we are at capacity'. Again that is a good thing as it makes money.

The car park is extremely busy even wth the new section opened. In fact cars are parked bumper to bumper on the rig road around the main car park section. The staff car park is being used by tourists. Staff are being forced to park on grass verges. Staff cars are being damaged whilst parked. This has never happened before. Again I see this as quite a good thing in terms of £.

NCL has a good selection of sustainable routes served directly along with (too many) hub connections should anyone feel the current route offering doesn't meet their needs.

A certain operator may improve the numbers, but so would a Wonga loan improve my bank balance. We all know that that is not sustainable.

Slow, steady growth, making money, employing locals directly and in the supply chain, supporting local businesses, putting us on the global map and having sustainable services is what we need and what we have.

Inflating numbers just to boost our position on a league table is wrong. For a deprived area devoid of Barnett's Billions and with the North Sea as half of out catchment area I think we do very well indeed.

Last edited by HeartyMeatballs; 12th Jul 2016 at 11:03.