PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin ATR grounded in Albury
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2016, 00:38
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The question remains - what are two pilots doing on the controls at the same time? There are very few occasions where this may be appropriate these days & I don't believe that this is one of them.

The AirAsia A320 accident almost defies belief. The following quote got my attention -

"The captain needed the co-pilot to assist by pushing his control forward to make the aircraft pitch down." Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe that the A320 requires forward sidestick on both sides in order to obtain a maximum nose down command. If the captain had full nose down input on his side, no amount of input on the F/o's side would make any difference. The captain didn't need the F/o to assist as asserted in the article & if he felt he did, it shows an extreme lack of understanding of the aircraft systems & of the principles of multi-crew operations.

I had a senior pilot riding shotgun in a Chieftain one night who thought he had the right to manipulate the controls at any time he saw fit. Not that I had any idea of what he was doing until after. As I was about to commence the flare, just starting to put pressure on the control column, it jerked back & the aircraft leapt upwards. I was wondering if the control column was sticking but, having enough speed & runway eased the aircraft down & commenced the flare again. Same thing. After the aircraft 'arrived' rather firmly the 3rd time, I discussed the possibility of the control column jamming with him later in the roll-out. He then sheepishly admitted that he had thought I was flaring too late & had pulled back on the controls. The combined input from both me & him lead to the control column jerking back & the aircraft pitching up vigorously. He is now a QF captain & I hope he learnt a lesson that night.

If the captain on the ATR thought that the F/o wasn't doing a good enough job, he should have said "I have control" & the F/o hopefully would have let go.

I am really starting to worry about training and basic airmanship these days.