PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2016, 14:16
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOODED
LA how exactly is LBA in the wrong place to serve Yorkshire. It's between 2 of its largest Cities with Harrogate to the north Dewsbury and Wakefield to the south. Doncaster has its own airport. Tadcaster is not exactly the centre of Yorkshire comerce, you could argue it would serve York well I guess. The real shame, for me, is that none of the money the councils made from the sale of LBA were spent on the promised improved road links..This I agree is LBAs biggest problem at the moment, not lack of space, being on a hill, runway in wrong direction etc etc. As for the cost of a small extension at the Scotland lane end the cost benefit isn't really there. The cost of extending the runway at CF putting in ILS and building a terminal however.....good luck with that!
Because being North of Bradford and Leeds - this associated urban sprawl, heavy traffic and poor arterial road connection acts as a wall to passengers from the South of the region. The statistics show this. There are 2 easy slides right through the catchment to MAN (tpe and M62) which literally suck passengers right out of not just Yorkshire but Leeds City region. DSA would not have been built if Leeds airport had been constructed 19 miles ESE of its current position. 100% fact. If you do not understand catchment area population study - you simply will not be able to understand this.

No council in their right mind will build link roads to an airport in the wrong place that cannot handle all aircraft types and is one of the worst in the country for diversions. It's called throwing good money after bad. That's why there isn't a motorway to LBA. You build motorways to airport's which will remained uncapped and have future potential. Of course small scale link roads are planned because they are and will be needed whatever becomes of the Yeadon site in distant years. Bridgepoint themselves agree that a new airport will potentially be needed and seeing that the airport has no cargo flights or wide bodied flights you can understand this.