PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foolish to become a commercial pilot?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2003, 09:16
getmeoutovga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its nice that so many of us are so damn optimistic and hopefull, but for christsake at least be realistic. Sure, do a commercial, I don't think I could handle not knowing 'what if', but go in with your eyes wide open.

1) Its going to cost a ****e load of money, these days there wont be much change from $65,000 to get you to a employable position.

2) How much money is it really costing?.Sure initially the $65,000, but what about the $25-$30 grand you will forfeit whilst earning peanuts in G.A that you would have made in ANY other job, plus the money lost on what a $65,000 investment would otherwise yeild. In the end in could easily become a $100,000 to $200,000 gamble over the course of three to four years!!!

3) You WILL loose friends/girlfreinds as you are expected to work weekends (for no renumeration unless you fly) and loose faith in human decency as all and sundry try to get on top, kind of reminds me of a couple of starving dogs fighting over a peice of old meat!

4) You WILL come close to death in ageing and under maintained aicraft in terrible flying conditions.

5) Only a very small minority will make it into the airlines/ regionals.

6) On the other hand if you do make it into the airlines/regionals all these risks and hardships will be more than worth it, if you don't it may well be the worst decision of your life

Not trying to seem to pesimestic it just what I see as the real pros and cons.